2/02/2016

Adventuring with Katie

#ad_soulsistas is the hash tag we came up with for all of our crazy adventures. I don't know why we decided to make it so complicated, but it represents what we have going on pretty well. Katie Gensitskiy, aka @adventuringwithkatie has been my best friend or "soul sista" since my early teenage years. We have been there for each other through every small and every big event in our lives. We had the perfect childhood filled with rebellion, risks, growth, and many many adventures. And then it came time for us to meet our male versions of best friends and they tore us apart making us live many many miles away from each other. And for a little bit, we weren't the closest anymore; both adapting to all the changes in our lives, getting used to being someone's wife, and having many new responsibilities we focused on putting our lives together. But best friends who have been through a lifelong worth of memories don't just leave it at that. We always overcame any distance, any drifting, and found our way back to each other as if nothing changed. As soon as I got the opportunity to visit her I took it, and for $53 and a mere two hours I found my way to her. It felt good to be reunited with my sister again. And I loved getting to see how her new life has been treating her; getting to experience a glimpse of what it's like to live in her city, and in her shoes. She was the perfect host; feeding me all the best meals, taking me to the best shops, and views. Im excited to share all that I got to see and experience in the beautiful city of Portland/Vancouver.

I flew into Portland around lunch time, so we headed downtown to accomplish Katies goal of eating from a food truck. We found a whole row of them, and after a long time of being indecisive we settled on Chinese food.




I still didn't have my share of coffee yet, so we then headed a few blocks down to the nearest coffee shop.


After enjoying a fresh brew of portland coffee, we then headed to Costco and did our wifely duty.

The time then came to pick up my husband from the airport, and all four of us then came home enjoyed dinner, and ended the night with a game of Catan.


The next day we woke up bright and early and made our way to the coast.

Our first stop was beautiful Ecola state park. There we enjoyed the view, and a muddy but gorgeous hike through the forest and along the coast.





When we finally made our way to the shore we climbed rocks, made figures out of clay, and used it as a turnaround point.





Feeling hungry from all of our adventuring we made our way to seaside for some tasty sushi and gelato. We also explored all the little shops in the area.
-Tora sushi lounge-

To finish off our trip we headed to haystack rock and parted with the waves.

At home we ended the night by eating snacks and watching Everest, which we really enjoyed.

As Sunday came around the corner we enjoyed our morning at church. And like always we left the service filled with good food for the soul, but in search of food for our tummys. So we drove to a cute little street where the boys enjoyed delicious burgers at Little Big Burger and we enjoyed a heartwarming bowl of ramen at Boxer Ramen.

-Boxer Ramen- 

That of course wasn't enough. I needed my coffee, and with that coffee we tried the amazing flavors of salt and straw ice cream.
-I look so evil as I indulge in these goodies-


With our tummies full and happy we were ready for more exploring. We made our way downtown where we wrote letters to each other in a beautiful, super hipster hotel. And then we made way to the biggest book store I've ever seen, and lost ourselves in all the books.






To end the adventures we walked along the Vancouver board walk and enjoyed the fresh air.

At home we spend time eating snacks and discussing everything you could possibly discuss.

My husband flew home the next morning so me and Katie had the whole day to ourselves.

We treated ourselves to some life changing doughnuts from Pips doughnuts (these guys are a must try) and then drove off to chase more adventure.
-pips doughnuts-

We stopped at many beautiful viewpoints, and we stopped at a few different waterfalls... Climbing behind one getting fully soaked, and climbing above one in an intense hike.








-the view near Vista house-




-Latourell Falls-
-Multnomah falls-




We then found ourselves in an enchanted forest where we enjoyed our last beautiful view.





Tired and happy we drove home, had dinner, and passed out.

My last day in Portland I dropped off Katie at work and enjoyed myself in another great Portland coffee shop. I then spent time at Katies work, reading and spending time with her kids. And after a quick food stop made my way home to snowy Denver.



My first trip of the year was a solid success. I couldn't be more pleased, and it couldn't be more memorable. I'm so happy I got to see my closest friend and go on more crazy adventures with her. Distance will not tear us apart, and soon she will visit me and my home.

I went to so many amazing places, if you are ever in the Portland/ Vancouver area be sure to visit all the places I've mentioned, you will not be disappointed.